Brochure Type: AWS Europe and Britain 22 23
Snow, Santa Claus and the fascinating culture of the Sami people await on this arctic adventure in pursuit of the Northern Lights that dance across the dark winter skies of Finland and Sweden.
- Explore Helsinki, Gammelstad and Stockholm with a Local Specialist
- Visit Saariselka, Siida Sami Museum, Rovaniemi, Lulea, Jokkmokk, Ajtte Museum, Kiruna and Stockholm City Hall
- View the Northern Lights (weather permitting)
- See the Sibelius Monument, the Olympic Stadium, the Opera House and Finlandia Hall in Helsinki, Riddarholmen Church and the Royal Palace in Stockholm
- Connect With Locals Join a Sami reindeer herder family in their homestead for a traditional meal in their lavvu (tepee) with insights into the way of life of a reindeer herder, their traditions and history.
- Dive into Culture Visit Rovaniemi, the hometown of Santa Claus, and meet its famous resident.
- Dive into Culture Ride an authentic Sami reindeer-drawn sleigh, the traditional means of transport in snowy northern Finland.
- Dive Into Culture Learn about the Sami peoples' traditions, culture and history at the Siida Sami Museum in northern Finland.
- Stays with Stories Gaze up at the Arctic sky keeping a keen eye out for the Northern Lights as you settle in for your overnight's stay in the cosy comfort of your Apukka Resort Aurora Cabin.
- 1 Be My Guest
- 1 Farewell Dinner
- 1 Welcome Reception
- 2 Dinners
- 8 Breakfasts
- All hotel tips, charges and local taxes
- All porterage and restaurant gratuities
- An expert Travel Director and professional Driver
- Audio headsets for flexible sightseeing
- Breakfast daily and up to half of your evening meals
- Cherry-picked hotels, all tried and trusted
- Flight from Helsinki to Ivalo
- Flight from Kiruna to Stockholm
- Luxury air-conditioned coach with Wi-Fi in most countries or alternative transportation (such as rail journeys)
- Must-see sightseeing and surprise extras
- Optional Experiences and free time
Call (716) 675-1190 for more information or to book today! Mention code 16627595
- Tour Operator
- Trafalgar Tours
- Offer valid through 9/30/2022
- 9 Days
- Escorted - Yes
|Day 1||Helsinki||Welcome to Helsinki: The capital of the north and a hub for creativity and design, Helsinki kick-starts your hunt for the mystical Northern Lights. On arrival, you'll be transferred to your hotel. There's time to freshen up in the typical Finnish sauna or rooftop pool before joining your Local Specialist for a city sightseeing tour before your Welcome Reception to set the tone for your epic Scandinavian adventure. |
Holiday Inn City Centre
|Day 2||Saariselka||Journey to Saariselka: A morning flight sees us travel north of the Arctic Circle to Ivalo before a short drive to the enchanting snowy escape of Saariselka. Admire Finland's forest-filled winterscape before our visit to a reindeer farm. Be sure to bundle up when we embrace the Sami way of life and Dive Into Culture on an unforgettable experience - board a sleigh for a ride through the snowy forest to earn your international reindeer driving licence. Tonight, if the sky is clear, you will have your first opportunity to marvel at the 'dancing lights' of the Aurora Borealis after dinner at our hotel.|
|Day 3||Siida Sami Museum||Discover the Siida Sami Museum: Delve into the centuries-old traditions and heritage of the Sami people when you Dive Into Culture and visit the Siida Sami Museum, located on the shores of Lake Inari. Explore the museum's permanent collections reflecting the spirit and history of Sami culture spanning centuries, as well as the evolution of the Sami languages, Northern Lapland's unique natural environment and how this community has survived and indeed thrived in the Arctic's extremes. This afternoon, you'll want to join an Optional Experience you'll never forget. Navigate the snowy forests and fells on a husky safari. Watch in wonder as these eager dogs race across the white landscape with you in tow. After an exhilarating encounter with your new furry friends, you'll savour a warming drink around a fire and learn about this special canine breed.|
|Day 4||Santa Claus Village and Rovaniemi||Off to Santa Claus Village and Rovaniemi: Travel south to Rovaniemi, the official hometown of Santa Claus, where you'll celebrate the magic of Christmas and Dive Into Culture to share yuletide greetings with Santa at his post office. You could choose to send a letter to your loved ones and snap a selfie at the edge of the Arctic Circle which runs through this Santa Claus Village, before bidding farewell to Rudolph for the next leg of your adventure. Tonight's Stays With Stories is like something out of a storybook and as you gaze upwards through your Aurora Cabin's perfectly positioned glass roof in search of the Northern Lights, you'll be grateful for your cosy home in the Arctic wilderness for the night.|
Apukka Resort Aurora Cabins
|Day 5||Lulea in Swedish Lapland||Venture to Lulea in Swedish Lapland: Bid farewell to Finland, bound for Sweden. Your first stop is in the church village of Gammelstad, UNESCO-listed for its 424 wooden houses built around an early 15th-century stone church, providing visitors with a view of what such a village would have looked like in northern Scandinavia several centuries ago. Continue to Lulea, the largest city in Swedish Lapland. You'll have the afternoon at leisure to relax or visit the brick neo-Gothic Lulea Cathedral that dominates the city skyline.|
|Day 6||Kiruna||Onwards to Kiruna: This morning we venture north to Jokkmokk, a historic meeting place for trade and festivals alike. For over 400 years this important locality has been the home to an annual Winter Market and we can relish the region's natural produce for lunch. Later, enjoy a guided tour through the Ajtte museum learning the story of life and survival in the demanding northern climate. Tonight, we Connect With Locals over a truly unique Be My Guest experience in Kiruna when we join a Sami reindeer herder family for a traditional meal in their Sami lavvu.|
|Day 7||Kiruna||Kiruna Your Way: Today, you'll learn how Kiruna is a town on the move. In just a few years, this Swedish Lapland mining centre, including its heritage buildings, will be relocated just a few miles away due to the unstable land on which it currently sits as a result of the iron mining beneath its surface. Spend the day exploring Kiruna at your own pace or take the option to delve into this unusual feat of engineering and embark on an underground mine tour. This afternoon, stay above ground and visit the Icehotel - an Optional Experience which includes a drink at the ice bar and an ice sculpting experience. Tonight is your last chance to catch a glimpse of the Northern Lights, made even more special by the fact that in just a few years the vantage point of this hotel will be moved along with the entire town of Kiruna.|
|Day 8||Enjoy Stunning Stockholm||Enjoy Stunning Stockholm: Leave the Arctic behind and fly to Stockholm, Sweden's sophisticated capital. Join your Local Specialist for a city sightseeing tour exploring 'beauty on water' as the locals refer to their beloved capital. Visit the City Hall, where Nobel prize banquets are held and embark on an Optional Experience to the Vasa Museum to view the world's best-preserved 17th-century warship. Tonight, your journey across Lapland in search of the mystical Northern Lights comes to an end with a memorable Farewell Dinner with new friends.|
|Day 9||Stockholm||Farewell Stockholm: As our journey to see the Northern Lights comes to an end, bid a fond farewell to Scandinavia and newfound friends. Find out more about your free airport transfer at trafalgar.com/freetransfers.|
- Special Rate Solo Rooming: Departures 09 April and 09 October 2023 will include 20 - 100% discount on our standard single supplement.
- These prices are correct at the time of the website going live, however are subject to confirmation at the time of booking.
- All tour information is correct at time of tours going live, however is subject to change, please confirm all details at time of booking.
- For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Conditions page.
- Hotel Class Key: D: Deluxe SF: Superior First Class F: First Class